Graniteville’s John Donahue stole the CARQUEST Vermont Governor’s Cup 100 win with a heads-up move at Thunder Road International Speedbowl in Barre, VT on Sunday, June 26. Donahue was running second to defending “King of the Road” and VT Governor’s Cup Champion Nick Sweet when three cars spun in turn four near the back of the pack spun on the 84th circuit.
By the time Sweet and Donahue reached turn three, all three cars were making their way back onto the track. Sweet lifted expecting a caution, but Donahue never lifted and took the lead when no caution was thrown.
Donahue took the lead and never looked back, while Sweet had to settle for second.
“I saw the green light in turn four, so I never lifted,” said Donahue in victory lane. It was Donahue’s second win of the 2011 Thunder Road Late Model season, the other coming in the Mekkelsen RV Memorial Day Classic in May. Donahue currently sits atop the 2011 championship point standings.
Sweet was followed to the line by current Rookie of the Year leader Jimmy Hebert, who scored his career best Late Model finish in third. Scott Payea and Brent Dragon completed the top five. Brian Hoar claimed a sixth place finish, while filling in for Cris Michaud in the #6VT. Lt. Governor Phil Scott, Jamie Fisher, Matt White and Dave Whitcomb rounded out the top ten.
The rain showers came in following the Late Model feature and washed out the Bond Auto Tiger Sportsmen 35 lap feature. That event will be made up this Thursday, June 30 during Fairpoint Communications night.
The apparent Allen Lumber Street Stock feature winner Marvin Johnson was found illegal in post race tech. His disqualification handed the win over to Williamstown’s Tommy Smith. It was Smith’s 21st career Street Stock Feature win.
Jason Woodard of Waterbury earned his first career Junkyard Warrior feature win. He was followed to the line by point leader Kevin Wheatley and Brock Parrott completing the podium.
Thunder Road International Speedbowl will be back in action this Thursday, June 30 for Fairpoint Communications night. It will feature all four divisions including double features for the Bond Auto Tiger Sportsmen.
CARQUEST VT Governor’s Cup 100 Unofficial Results
Thunder Road International Speedbowl – Barre, VT
Sunday, June 26, 2011 – Late Models
Pos. Driver (Car #) Hometown Laps
1. John Donahue (26VT) Graniteville, VT 100 Laps
2. Nick Sweet (88VT) Barre, VT 100 Laps
3. #Jimmy Hebert (58VT) Williamstown, VT 100 Laps
4. Scott Payea (89VT) Milton, VT 100 Laps
5. Brent Dragon (55VT) Milton, VT 100 Laps
6. Brian Hoar (6VT) Williston, VT 100 Laps
7. Phil Scott (14VT) Berlin, VT 100 Laps
8. Jamie Fisher (18VT) Shelburne, VT 100 Laps
9. Matt White (42VT) Northfield, VT 100 Laps
10. Dave Whitcomb (25VT) Essex Jct., VT 100 Laps
11. Reno Gervais (12VT) Island Pond, VT 100 Laps
12. Brett Wheeler (1VT) Waterbury, VT 100 Laps
13. Dave Pembroke (44VT) Middlesex, VT 100 Laps
14. Craig Bushey (05VT) Fairfax, VT 100 Laps
15. Mike Bailey (00VT) South Barre, VT 100 Laps
16. Austin Theriault (57VT) Fort Kent, ME 100 Laps
17. Cody Blake (99VT) Barre, VT 100 Laps
18. Jamie Aube (41VT) N. Ferrisburgh, VT 100 Laps
19. Chip Grenier (22VT) Graniteville, VT 100 Laps
20. Grant Folsom (81VT) Waitsfield, VT 100 Laps
21. Ricky Roberts (3VT) Washington, VT 100 Laps
22. Joey Becker (16VT) Jeffersonville, VT 100 Laps
23. Brooks Clark (68VT) Fayston, VT 100 Laps
24. Mike Bruno (22NY) Rutland, VT 99 Laps
25. #Jim Morris (13VT) Barre, VT 99 Laps
26. Glen Luce (7ME) Turner, ME 99 Laps
27. Brad Mattson (33VT) Graniteville, VT 97 Laps
28. Dave Wilcox (61VT) Fairfield, VT 78 Laps
29. Trampas Demers (85VT) S. Burlington, VT 65 Laps
30. Marcel Gravel (5VT) Wolcott, VT 22 Laps