Barre, VT’s Nick Sweet claimed his second straight Merchants Bank 150 win at Thunder Road International Speedbowl on Sunday, May 1. The defending track champion came from his 8th starting position to take the lead from Joey Polewarczyk, Jr. on lap 91. Sweet would work his way through lap traffic with ease and never relinquished the lead for the remainder of the event.
Graniteville’s John Donahue led from the outside pole for the first four laps before Polewarczyk took over from the fourth place starting spot. Polewarczyk survived the only restart of the event after a lap 9 caution for a spin. He then took control of the event and lapped the majority of the field before Sweet reeled him in and took the lead.
Polewarczyk held on for second, Donahue claimed third, St-Denis, QC’s Patrick Laperle and seven-time ACT Tour Champion Brian Hoar completed the top five. London, Ontario’s Jonathan Urlin came all the way from the 21st starting position to take sixth, Groveton, NH’s Randy Potter rebounded from an early spin to take seventh, Ben Ashline, Quinny Welch, and Mark Lamberton rounded out the top ten.
The event only saw one caution on lap 9 and completed the race on a 141 lap green flag run. It was completed in just 39 minutes and 24 seconds.
Sweet becomes the second qualifier for the 3rd Annual ACT Invitational at New Hampshire Motor Speedway. He finished second in the inaugural event in 2009.
The Bond Auto Tiger Sportsmen saw Bradford’s Derrick O’Donnell claim his fourth career Tiger feature win. He held off second year driver Jason Allen of Barre and Pete Ainsworth of Middlesex. Craftsbury’s Mike Martin and Joey Roberts of Georgia completed the top five.
Washinton’s Paul Giacherio took his first career feature win in the Allen Lumber Street Stock division. He beat out former Street Stock Champion Gary Mullen of Tunbridge and Martin Ingram of Essex. Joe Fecteau of Hardwick and Thomas Placey of Bradford completed the top five.
Kevin Wheatley of Williamstown took his second career win in the Junkyard Warriors. Williamstown’s Brock Parrott and Waterbury’s Jason Woodard completed the top three.
Car show winners were Fayston’s Brooks Clark in the Late Models, Bradford’s Derrick O’Donnell in the Tiger Sportsmen, Williamstown’s Sid Sweet, Jr. in the Allen Lumber Street Stocks and Waterbury’s Jason Woodard claimed the Junkyard Warrior.
The ACT Late Model Tour has next weekend off before they Oxford Plains Speedway for a 150 lap event on Sunday, May 15. Thunder Road International Speedbowl’s next event is the Mekkelsen RV Memorial Day Classic on Sunday, May 29.
13th Annual Merchants Bank 150
ACT Late Model Tour
Sunday, May 1, 2011
1. (8) Nick Sweet, Barre, VT, 150 Laps
2. (4) Joey Polewarczyk, Jr., Hudson, NH, 150 Laps
3. (2) John Donahue, Graniteville, VT, 150 Laps
4. (10) Patrick Laperle, St-Denis-sur-Richelieu, QC, 150 Laps
5. (1) Brian Hoar, Williston, VT, 150 Laps
6. (21) Jonathan Urlin, London, ON, 149 Laps
7. (11) Randy Potter, Groveton, NH, 149 Laps
8. (13) #Ben Ashline, Pittston, ME, 149 Laps
9. (19) Quinten Welch, Lancaster, NH, 149 Laps
10. (17) Mark Lamberton, Mooers Forks, NY, 149 Laps
11. (9) Eric Chase, Milton, VT, 149 Laps
12. (3) Glen Luce, Turner, ME, 149 Laps
13. (23) Dave Pembroke, Middlesex, VT, 149 Laps
14. (14) Matt White, Northfield, VT, 149 Laps
15. (6) Brent Dragon, Milton, VT, 149 Laps
16. (5) Phil Scott, Berlin, VT, 149 Laps
17. (16) Wayne Helliwell, Jr., Dover, NH, 148 Laps
18. (7) Scott Payea, Milton, VT, 148 Laps
19. (15) #Pete Yetman, Peru, MA, 148 Laps
20. (26) Chip Grenier, Graniteville, VT, 148 Laps
21. (25) Dave Whitcomb, Essex Jct., VT, 148 Laps
22. (18) Cody Blake, Barre, VT, 148 Laps
23. (12) Scott Luce, Strong, ME, 148 Laps
24. (20) Tom Carey, Jr., New Salem, MA, 148 Laps
25. (22) Jamie Aube, Bow, NH, 147 Laps
26. (27) Joey Becker, Jeffersonville, VT, 146 Laps
27. (29) Jean-Paul Cyr, Milton, VT, 146 Laps
28. (28) Brett Wheeler, Waterbury, VT, 146 Laps
29. (24) #Jimmy Hebert, Williamstown, VT, 146 Laps
30. (30) #Dave Farrington, Jr., Jay, ME, 146 Laps
Time of Race: 39:24 Margin of Victory: 3.649 sec Cautions: 1 (laps 9)
Leaders: John Donahue, 1-4; Joey Polewarczyk, Jr., 5-91; Nick Sweet, 92-150
Heat Winners: Pete Yetman, Patrick Laperle, John Donahue, Wayne Helliwell, Jr.